Sunday, April 11, 2010

A green thumb?

Grace is showing off Daddy and Uncle Gerry's hard work. This is how our garden looks preplanting. I am hoping to love this little hobby. I am also hoping that the bunnies don't think it is an easy lunch......




Another view from the deck......of our beautiful dirt!


Well I decided that this will be the year that I finally start my garden. I have been talking about having a garden for the last few years, but just never got around to actually doing it. I had a huge list of fruits and veggies that I wanted to plant, but decided that maybe I should make a list of what I want to do with all these fruits and veggies once they have grown. I have never canned anything in my life, although I grew up watching my Mom can lots of things from her garden. So I know it can be labor intensive and time consuming, plus pressure cookers kind-of scare me. I don't exactly have a lot of free time either. So I decided that canning was out...at least for this year. Other than having yummy fresh veggies....what could I do with these veggies that I would lovingly tend to? Well, I decided that I am going to make and freeze my own homemade spaghetti sauce! I have never made spaghetti sauce from scratch....I usually buy pre-made sauce and then add to it. So this might be quite an undertaking for me. Hopefully it is fun and tastes great....(at least that's the plan in my head.)


I decided to go small this year, instead of going all out. Just a 10 x 10 little garden. (That way in case I decide I hate gardening.....it's not a huge undertaking to replant the grass) My lovely brother-in-law was nice enough to come over with a garden tiller and ready our spot for the garden. (Thanks Gerry!) Now we just need to get the seeds and plant! Wish me luck, and say a little prayer that the bunnies don't eat up all my hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment